Board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Al Cohn, believes in providing each patient with a safe and rewarding plastic surgery experience. Originally from Columbus, Georgia, Dr. Cohn has lived in Birmingham, Alabama, since 2006. Dr. Cohn is committed to helping patients achieve beautiful, natural-looking results by combining technical excellence, artistic skill, and meticulous attention to detail. His goal is to provide the community with stellar service through specialized training and compassionate bedside manner.
- Received his bachelor’s degree from Duke University in 1995, graduating cum laude
- Graduated from medical school at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, SC (2000)
- While in medical school, Dr. Cohn was elected president of his medical class each of the four years he attended.
- Dr. Cohn was one of five students inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha, the national medical honor society, during his third year in medical school.
- He went on to serve as president of Alpha Omega Alpha his senior year at the Medical University of South Carolina.
- Dr. Cohn also received a variety of notable accolades, including a four-year academic medical-school scholarship as well as awards for service and leadership.
- Upon graduation from medical school, Dr. Cohn was accepted into the highly competitive, combined, general surgery/plastic surgery residency training program at the University of Chicago Hospital.
- While there, he received extensive training with an internationally recognized faculty focusing on a wide range of plastic and reconstructive surgical procedures.
- Fellowship, Breast Reconstruction and Aesthetic Surgery in Birmingham, AL (2006-2007)
- Program Director: James Grotting, MD
- Plastic Surgery Residency, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois (2004-2006)
- Program Director: David H. Song, MD
- General Surgery Residency, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois (2000-2003)
- Program Director: Fabrizio Michelassi, MD
Credentials & Career Highlights
- Board-certified member of the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS)
- Active member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
- Active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- Former president of the Alabama Society of Plastic Surgeons (2015-2016)
- Serves as Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery in the division of plastic surgery at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Hospital (2007-present)
- Served as a clinical instructor of surgery at Physicians Medical Center Carraway
- Teacher’s assistant, Medical Microbiology and Immunology (1999-2000)
- Certified by the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners
- Licensed by the Medical Licensure Commission of Alabama
5-Star Experience from Beginning to End!
Dr. Cohn and his team far exceeded my expectations, from the initial consultation to each follow-up appointment. He and his team have exceptional bedside mannerisms that put any hesitations or nervousness at ease immediately. They make themselves readily available throughout the pre and post operation processes to ensure that any question and/or concerns are addressed timely. Dr. Cohn is a perfectionist in his craft, and the results speak for themselves. Dr. Cohn, Allyson, Amy, Kim and the rest of the team collectively made this a truly 5-Star experience!